Warriors Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the media ahead of Saturday’s Premiership Rugby Cup match against Leicester Tigers at Welford Road (kick-off 3.00pm).
Here’s what Alan had to say:
Last Friday’s win over Sale
- A lot of the players hadn’t played for three weeks. It was a competitive game and for a first hit out it was pretty good.
- From an all-round perspective he was happy with the performance.
Looking ahead to Leicester
- Leicester at Welford Road are always a tough proposition and we are anticipating a tough game.
- We had a tough game there in September. They came back strongly but what was great is that right at the death Ted Hill got the try in the corner.
- There has been good resolve, resilience and character throughout the season so far.
- Jono Lance: Has partial stress fracture of the back. He had a similar injury when he was younger from playing cricket. It’s a matter of time before it heals. He will have another scan after six weeks.
- Ashley Beck: Has had surgery on his broken leg and he is now on crutches. The specialist is satisfied with the operation but it’s a six month injury.
- Chris Pennell: Available for selection this week.
- Ryan Mills: Not yet available for selection.
- Marco Mama: Not yet available for selection.
- Farai Mudariki: Took a blow to the neck against Sale and not available this week.
- Anton Bresler: Has passed the concussion protocols and is available this week.
- Cornell du Preez: Has been discharged from hospital. Should know by the end of the year what the prognosis is.
Competing on all fronts
- We did reasonably well with our recruitment and we felt that we had sufficient depth to compete in all competitions which is what we are trying to do.
- Our vision is centred around the academy. Our senior academy players are totally integrated with the senior squad and Gordon Ross and Chim Gale, our academy coaches, are integrated into the coaching system, so it’s seamless.
Michael Fatialofa’s arrival
- Michael will arrive in England late on Thursday and is due to meet the squad on Friday.
- He had a knee operation after the Super Rugby season but played for Auckland in their Mitre 10 Cup final victory last Saturday. Not yet decided when he will make his Warriors debut.