Warriors Head Coach Rory Duncan spoke to the media ahead of Friday’s European Challenge Cup match against Pau.
Here’s what Rory had to say:
On the Gloucester defeat
- They got away from us. They got on top of use physically and dominated in a number of the physical aspects of the game.
Chris Pennell’s two week suspension
- We accept the outcome. Chris is an absolute gentleman.
- There was no ill-intent but we accept they are trying to keep the game safe.
On the Pau match
- It’s still early in the competition. Pau are a tough outfit. They have got some big guys in the pack and some big, strong ball carriers.
- They are a well-supported club and they are a quality outfit.
Likely team selection
- Expect some rotation from the guys that were playing at the weekend in the Gallagher Premiership. Some of them have played five games in six weeks which is a heavy workload.
Playing Pau in back-to-back matches
- It makes the analysis and the reviews easier. I’ve not experienced back-to-back matches before.
- Taking them on over there gives us an opportunity to look at them. We anticipate a certain style of game and we get to review that and see whether that is what we got.
New contracts for Ted Hill and Ollie Lawrence
- Alan Solomons is working very hard on recruitment and player retention. Excited to have the players of the calibre Ted and Ollie who have come through the Academy. The Academy is the future of the club.
- Ted is a physical unit who has played a number of Premiership games for us and who hasn’t stepped back since he made his debut at Leicester. It’s just the tip of the iceberg because there is a lot more to come in terms of Ted’s potential.
- Ollie had his first opportunity at Exeter and he has proved to be quite a threat from an attacking perspective. I believe he will be an international in the not too distant future. Very excited to have Ollie signed up.
- The Academy coaches have done a fantastic job. It’s not just Ollie and Ted, we have got a number of exciting young players coming through.
Jack Cosgrove’s signing
- Alan Solomons had the opportunity to work with Jack at Edinburgh. I’ve not worked with him before but I’ve been pretty impressed with him this week. He’s quick to take ideas and concepts on board.
- Michael Fatialofa. He’s not ready for selection this week but he should be ready in the next two weeks.
- Alafoti Faosiliva. He has been cleared to play and is available for selection this week. He’s a physical player and a strong ball carrier and we are excited to have him back.
- Carl Kirwan. Carl is training again but he’s but been cleared to play yet.
- GJ van Velze. Hopeful that he will be back for the next block of Premiership matches.
- Matti Williams. He had a stinger at Gloucester but has been cleared to play this weekend.
- Marco Mama. Hopefully we will see him on the pitch in the next week or two.