Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the media ahead of Sunday’s Gallagher Premiership match against Newcastle Falcons.
Here is what Alan had to say:
On the Leicester Tigers win
- It was another pretty close one but it was great that we managed to get the win at the death.
- We had a number of opportunities in the first half that we didn’t close out so we did make life difficult for ourselves. Closing out the opportunities we create is very important.
- The important thing is that we have won a number of games right at the death and that does develop confidence within the group.
- We showed resolve and resilience and we fought right to the bitter end.
- We know that all Premiership games are tough and they are all important but this is a big game.
- We have to focus not on what happens as a consequence of anything. We need to focus on getting our performance 100 per cent right to give ourselves the best chance of getting a result.
- It’s an important game for them, seen in context, there’s no doubt about that. They are at home and it’s a big game for them so we know we are going to be in for a very, very tough encounter.
Bryce Heem’s decision not to extend his contract
- Bryce is a fantastic bloke and a fantastic team man. He’s a brilliant rugby player and we will miss him.
- He has reached the point in his career where he wants a different experience. He have done everything we can to try and persuade him to stay. We are dreadfully sorry to lose him but we wish him well.
- Bryce has been terrific for the club. I cannot speak highly enough of him. I perfectly understand and respect his reasons and everyone at the club wishes Bryce all the best. Bryce will always be welcome back at Sixways.
Ed Fidow’s signing
- He’s got a lot of talent. He’s played seven Tests for Samoa and he’s also played sevens for them.
- Ed has got pace and a bit of the X-Factor about him and everything we have heard about him is very positive.
Josh Adams back from Wales duty
- Josh certainly made his mark at the weekend. He did exceptionally well because he took quite a bad knock before that. It was an incredible cross-kick by Dan Biggar but Josh did exceptionally well in the air to score the try.
- He has done superbly. He’s class rugby player and a class bloke.
- The guys here are very proud of Josh and what he has achieved. He has come through the Academy here and it’s great to see a player that has been produced by the club do well on the international stage.
On Josh’s future
- Josh is a good pro. He focuses on his rugby. He always gives everything when he plays for us and he does the same when he plays for his country.
- He’s pretty rugby-focused, once he does that the rest takes care of itself.
- GJ van Velze has had an operation on his forearm. He’s had some wire in there and it will be six weeks before he has that out and two to four weeks after that before he will be available to play.
- Duncan Weir is fine and will be available this weekend.