King’s School 11-6 RGS

King’s School Worcester reclaimed the Modus Challenge Cup after seeing-off RGS 11-6 on a chilly night at Sixways.

A Max Fellows try proved to be the difference between the sides with both Barney Sears and Gus Thomas slotting two penalties apiece for their school.

A very vocal crowd attended Sixways for the eighth Modus Challenge Cup with King’s looking to avenge last year’s 15-8 defeat.

King’s looked to make early line-breaks but some solid RGS defending thwarted the team in white and blue.

A delicate kick from Ed Owen found Gus Thomas as RGS found a way behind the King’s defence in the early stages.

Both sides had their share of possession and both looked like they could break the deadlock, especially when roared on by their respective supporters.

Will Dovey and Sam Khogali linked up well as King’s made inroads into the RGS defence before Sears and Fellows had the King’s School support on their feet.

King’s had a penalty in the 14th minute which Barney Sears chipped over the posts to open the scoring.

But almost immediately RGS were presented with an opportunity after King’s were pinged and Thomas executed the kick beautifully to level the scores.

Sears had a penalty in the 23rd minute in almost an identical position to his first but the stand-off dragged it wide.

King’s started to dominate and caused problems down the right flank but couldn’t make pressure count when deep in RGS’ 22.

Thomas shuffled his way past several tacklers for the Green Army but RGS couldn’t recycle the ball quick enough to mount the pressure.

And King’s continued their threat down the right as skipper Ryan Kerley found space and eventually Fellows touched down in the right corner to make it 8-3.

Thomas did have a chance to reduce the deficit just before the break but his difficult punt was off target.

Fellows made another pacey run in and out of the RGS defence early in the second period before his side won a penalty in front of the posts and Sears extended the lead.

Thomas then had another opportunity to cut King’s’ lead and duly obliged on 45 minutes with a well-struck penalty.

At 11-6 RGS were always in the contest but couldn’t find a way to penetrate a solid King’s defence.

With five minutes remaining Sears had a chance to slot another three but he narrowly missed the upright.

Little did it matter as the team in blue and white were in jubilations come the final whistle, regaining the Modus Challenge Cup.