Warriors are providing an exciting opportunity for an aspiring young sports journalist to cover the Worcester Valkyries team as Matchday Reporter throughout the 2016/17 Women’s Premiership season.
The role will see the reporter attend all Women’s Premiership matches, travelling with the team and conducting match reports while providing live Twitter updates from every game.
The role provides the ideal first steps into the industry, where the lucky reporter will get to build contacts around the rugby circuit while also gaining bylines in local newspapers and online.
• To travel with Worcester Valkyries squad to all Women’s Premiership and Senior Cup matches (approximately 20-23 matches from September to May).
• To write a 400 to 600-word match report for the Warriors website and local media publications.
• To provide live Twitter updates on the Worcester Valkyries Twitter page.
• To work with Valkyries analyst/cameraman to perform post-match video interview with player or coach – and transcribing the interview to create a story for use in local media and Warriors website.
• To facilitate BBC Hereford & Worcester radio interview with a player/coach after the game.
• Journalism undergraduate
• Good understanding of social media – especially Twitter
• Video interview experience
• Good written skills
• To be able to meet deadlines
• To be able to meet word counts
• Build an array of contacts within the world of women’s sport and rugby union.
• Build a portfolio of work published in local media and online.
• Gain vital experience in the world of sports journalism, broadcast journalism and social media.
• Complimentary Warriors tickets and clothing.
Work on matchday (Saturday or Sunday). Hours vary depending on venue of fixtures.
Saturday 23 July
Closing date for application
Friday 5 August
To apply, please email your CV with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.