Backs Coach Sam Vesty spoke to the local media today ahead of Saturday’s Anglo-Welsh Cup clash with Exeter Chiefs at Sixways (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
European Challenge Cup
- We played some nice rugby in the European Challenge Cup but we let some games slip which cost us our place in the quarter-finals.
- We have to keep the boys playing so making changes and giving some players time off is key.
- It’s a squad game nowadays and the depth of your squad gets tested.
Anglo-Welsh Cup/Exeter Chiefs
- We will use the next couple of weeks to give all the squad some game time.
- The Anglo-Welsh Cup is an opportunity to play well and get some form going.
- Anton Bresler will get an opportunity.
- Exeter will be looking to put their brand of rugby on the pitch.
- But our focus will be on our own performance and if we can get that right we’re capable of beating them.
- Bringing in Alan Solomons as Director of Rugby has been a smooth transition.
- We’re all about trying to play a balanced game and he has given us some stability.
- Pierce Phillips will be out for six to ten weeks with an ankle injury.
- Perry Humphreys is out for six to ten weeks with an MCL injury.
- Michael Dowsett is out for three to four weeks with a hand injury.