31 - 21HT 12 - 14

Att 7,621
Sat 27 Jan 18, 3:00pm

REPORT | Warriors 31-21 Exeter Chiefs

Warriors claimed a sensational bonus point Anglo-Welsh Cup victory as they defeated 2014 champions Exeter Chiefs at Sixways.

Exeter started strongly as they raced to a 14-0 lead courtesy of tries from Tom Lawday and Harry Strong and two conversions from Joe Simmonds.

But Warriors fought back as Josh Adams put Warriors on the board before David Denton crossed just before the break.

The hosts held the upper hand in the early stages of the second-half and took their tally to 19 unanswered points as Tom Howe crossed before Jamie Shillcock added his second conversion of the day.

Shaun Malton put Exeter ahead once again, but Warriors dug in and secured their first Anglo-Welsh Cup win of the season as Adams added his second before Baldwin made the game safe in the dying moments.

Warriors Backs coach Sam Vesty, who was once again overseeing the side in the Anglo-Welsh Cup, named a strong side as the likes of Donncha O’Callaghan, Francois Hougaard and Ryan Mills returned to the starting line-up.

Exeter Chiefs started strongly and went ahead inside the first three minutes as Lawday bundled his way over following good work from the visiting forward pack.

Warriors were looking dangerous with ball in hand and they worked their way into some good positions as they looked to draw level early on.

But Exeter were defending well as they looked to take one step closer to the semi-finals after winning their opening two games of the competition.

And the Devon side stretched their advantage just before the halfway mark of the first-half as Strong found a gap in the home defence before diving over.

Simmonds’ conversion gave the visitors a 14-0 lead as Warriors found themselves up against it.

The hosts refused to surrender and continued to push forward and create chances to cross the whitewash.

And after Dean Hammond caught a crossfield kick from Jamie Shillcock, the winger teed up Adams, who cruised over the line to get Warriors off the mark.

Warriors found themselves in the ascendency as the half wore on and looked the more threatening of the two sides as they pushed forward.

And the hosts went over for their second try of the afternoon when Denton forced his way to the line after a sustained spell of home pressure.

Shillcock added the extras as Warriors fought back to just two points behind at the break.

Warriors continued from where they left off after the break and took the lead for the first time in the match as Howe raced down the right to cross the whitewash.

Shillcock’s conversion put the hosts 19-14 ahead after 19 unanswered points from the home side.

Exeter had reached the last three finals of the Anglo-Welsh Cup and had no intentions of allowing Warriors an easy ride in the second-half.

The visitors continued to push forward and were rewarded when replacement hooker Malton finished from close range.

Simmonds added his third conversion of the afternoon as the Devon side retook the lead.

But Warriors soon battered the Exeter defence backwards before camping on the visiting tryline.

And the lead changed hands once again as Adams was teed up once again to race through a gap and dive over for his second and Warriors’ fourth of the afternoon.

The hosts looked to see the game out as Exeter looked for a way back into the game.

But Warriors secured the win as replacement Baldwin touched down just before the end.

Warriors | 15 Josh Adams (Howard 69), 14 Tom Howe, 13 Jackson Willison, 12 Ryan Mills, 11 Dean Hammond, 10 Jamie Shillcock (Olver 79), 9 Francois Hougaard (Baldwin 71), 1 Ethan Waller (Bower 47), 2 Jack Singleton (Haupt 79), 3 Gareth Milasinovich (Kerrod 60), 4 Donncha O’Callaghan (C) (Bresler 41), 5 Darren Barry, 6 Matt Cox (Durutalo 78), 7 Sam Lewis, 8 David Denton (Durutalo 41-48)

Replacements | 16 Kurt Haupt, 17 Ryan Bower, 18 Simon Kerrod, 19 Anton Bresler, 20 Andrew Durutalo, 21 Luke Baldwin, 22 Sam Olver, 23 Ben Howard

3m | Lawday try 0-5
4m | Simmonds con 0-7
19m | Strong try 0-12
20m | Simmonds con 0-14
31m | Adams try 5-14
39m | Denton try 10-14
40m | Shillcock con 12-14
49m | Howe try 17-14
50m | Shillcock con 19-14
62m | Malton try 19-19
63m | Simmonds con 19-21
68m | Adams try 24-21
69m | Shillcock con 26-21
79m | Baldwin try 31-21

Competition: Anglo Welsh Cup
Venue: Sixways
Referee: Adam Jones
Game Type: Home
Fixture Round: 3
Attendance: 7,621
No. Name T C D P
15 Harvey Skinner
14 Tom O'Flaherty
13 Peter Laverick
12 Tom Hendrickson
11 Harry Strong 1T
10 Joe Simmonds 3C
9 Stu Townsend
1 Moray Low
2 Elvis Taione
3 Marcus Street
4 Ollie Atkins
5 Toby Salmon
6 Kai Horstmann
7 Julian Salvi
8 Tom Lawday 1T
16 Shaun Malton 1T
17 James Kenny
18 Jack Owlett
19 Wilhelm van der Sluys
20 Sean Lonsdale
21 Jack Maunder
22 Sam Morley
23 Sal M'Boge