Warriors Backs Coach Sam Vesty spoke to the media today ahead of Friday’s Anglo-Welsh Cup game with Dragons at Rodney Parade (kick-off 7.30pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
- We played pretty well against Exeter Chiefs, especially in the second-half. These boys showed they are never going to give up but our performance can still get better.
- Qualification depends on other results but we can only concentrate on our game against Dragons. We have to go to Rodney Parade and win.
- There will be changes to the side on Friday and the players will give everything they’ve got.
- Dragons are a tough side and they will have a never-say-die attitude. It will be a bruising, physical encounter.
- I’m delighted that Josh has been named in the Wales side for their NatWest 6 Nations game with Scotland. He’s put in a lot of work since he moved to Sixways and we’re proud of him.
- The players sent Josh a video message after our meeting on Tuesday to wish him the best of luck.
- Dean is a very good winger and a very good finisher. We have a strong set of wingers and Dean is someone who has always put his hand up when he’s had opportunities.
- Wynand Olivier has undergone an operation to a hamstring tendon and will be out for 12-16 weeks.
England Under 20s
- The England Under 20s squad has been populated with a lot of Warriors players in the last three years. It’s a testament to the work the Academy staff are doing here.
- Young players are the future and it’s only a matter of time until they’re playing first-team rugby for Warriors.
- Worcestershire County Cricket Club players Daryl Mitchell and Ben Cox joined us at Sixways on Tuesday to do some skills work with our backs. It’s important to keep things fresh for our players and change up what they’re doing. It was a really good session and it got the lads thinking.