Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the press today ahead of Saturday’s game against Harlequins at Sixways (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
- Our destiny is in our own hands. We need a good performance and you won’t get any points unless you perform well.
- Chris Pennell will be making his 200th appearance and it’s Donncha’s farewell so we have plenty of incentives.
- It can be a great occasion but we must perform well on the day.
- Quins have a number of Test players. The calibre of individuals they have is immense so it will be a tough game.
- Francois Hougaard is back in full training and I’m optimistic he’ll play at the weekend.
- Will Spencer has a problem underneath one of his toes where an old fracture has been disturbed. I’m not optimistic that he’ll play this weekend.
- Anton Bresler should be back in consideration. He is back in full training and his wife gave birth to a baby boy this week which is fantastic news so he’s in buoyant spirits.
- Niall Annett and Carl Kirwan are involved in aspects of training but won’t be considered for games for the rest of this season. Both should be good to go for the start of pre-season.
- Dewald Potgieter is under contract for next season.
- He is off ill at the moment with chicken pox and is injured so he is unavailable and won’t play this season.
- I am very happy with how things are and we will have a nine and ten in the Academy next season.
- Keeping Academy players at Sixways is fundamental.
- We are also looking to bring in a project tighthead.
- The vision for this Club is to build a sustainable Premiership club through a flourishing and vibrant Academy.
- The supporters have been fantastic all season and have been with us through thick and thin. We owe them a big performance.