Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the media today ahead of Sunday’s Gallagher Premiership match at the AJ Bell Stadium against Sale Sharks (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
- I’m disappointed we didn’t win but it was a good performance. We had opportunities and we didn’t take them.
- The penalty count was very high. We have taken matters through the correct channels having watched the film and it is going through the process.
- It was a positive performance against a top-three side who are always in the play-offs.
- Duncan Weir kicked well and was unlucky not to seal it at the end with the drop-goal attempt.
Worcester Cavaliers reaction
- Our pack did a splendid job on Monday night and dominated the set-piece. We could and should’ve won that game.
- Availability was difficult in the backs. Alex Hearle and Nick David weren’t available but it was pleasing with the comeback at death to get two bonus points against Newcastle.
Cornell du Preez
- We will have a clear prognosis on Cornell by the end of the week. He has had to have surgery.
- It’s a shame as he was looking good but it was a freak accident. Dan Robson made a good tackle, Cornell fell to the ground and Joe Launchbury fell and his knee struck Cornell in the throat unfortunately.
- The doctor was on hand and Cornell was then taken to hospital.
- The medical staff have been excellent and the Club’s support has been excellent.
- He is in hospital in Birmingham having further surgery and we will await a report from the specialist/surgeon.
- Anton Bresler’s groin wasn’t 100 per cent before the game last weekend and you can’t play in the Premiership unless you are fully fit. Fortunately Andrew Kitchener stepped up while Pierce Phillips did a good job too.
- Carl Kirwan is nearing a comeback. It’s been great to see him back training.
- It was also great to see Zac Xiourouppa play on Monday as both have been out for a while.
- Marco Mama is looking good and back in practice this week.
- Jack Singleton has a neck issue but we will assess him later this week. We are fortunate that we have Niall Annett and Joe Taufete’e who played well last week.
- Bryce Heem was outstanding especially after having not played for a while. He had a bit of cramp but he is okay.
- Sale will present a different challenge. They have a strong home record.
- It didn’t work out last weekend for them against Harlequins so they’ll be up for it.
- We will have to look at our squad carefully off the back of the weekend and there could be a couple of changes but we will assess some players later this week.
- They’ll be smarting after last week.
- We have strength in depth in the loose forwards and those that step up must take their opportunities.