Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the media today ahead of Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership match at Sandy Park against Exeter Chiefs (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
Leicester Tigers performance
- We started on the front foot and we were clinical for 60 minutes which was good to see.
- You have to arrest momentum swing and what we did at the death was excellent. We showed first-class resilience to put pressure on them, secure ball from the lineout, go through the phases and score.
- We need to understand what can turn the tide and by sticking to task we can get rewards.
- This victory was better than last year’s in my opinion as we had to score rather than hold on.
- It was important as it generates confidence.
Ted Hill’s Premiership debut and Academy players
- It’s important to build the Club through the Academy. It’s fantastic seeing the likes of Ted Hill, Will Butler, Andrew Kitchener, Ollie Lawrence and Justin Clegg having stepped up in recent months.
- With Ted taking his opportunity in the Premiership, it’s a boost to other youngsters seeing that, and also that Ted is showing he belongs there.
- It is a testament to the Academy staff and the work they have done.
- There is complete integration of the Academy players with the first-team both on the practice field and in matches.
Exeter Chiefs preview
- Exeter will be a massive challenge. They and Saracens are above all other teams.
- They have good players, they are well-prepared and well-coached.
- They have had stability and continuity over a long period and those same staff and players for a period of time have made a huge difference and they are reaping the rewards.
- We have always believed we can compete against anyone. But we have to perform to the best of our ability to get a result.
- We have a few knocks and if people are not 100 per cent they won’t be risked.
- Sam Lewis (hip) we will have to look at.
- Pierce Phillips picked up a dislocated thumb at Leicester.
- Nick Schonert (dead leg) will be assessed closer to the time.
- Ben Te’o has a calf knock. It’s not major but he hasn’t trained with England this week and is not available for selection this weekend.
- Ethan Waller fell on his hip in Monday’s Cavaliers game and won’t be considered for this weekend.
- Wynand Olivier is getting closer to returning – whether it’s the Premiership Rugby Shield match against Wasps on Monday or the next weekend. We are being conservative with him.
- Ollie Lawrence has done well and has been great for the Cavaliers. He’s certainly in consideration for selection.
- He was a terrific player last year when at school! He’s a real talent.
- Ollie needs experience and run-outs. He learnt a lot at Treviso and against Hartpury and training in the national set-up was a big help. The energy these youngsters bring like Ollie and Ted is remarkable.
- We have played really well in the Premiership Rugby Shield.
- Luke Scully and Farai Mudariki have done really well, and everyone played well on Monday.
- It’s great to have another win under our belts.