47 - 33HT 28 - 7

Stoop Memorial Ground
Att 12,235
Sat 16 Feb 19, 3:00pm

Report & Highlights | Harlequins 47-33 Warriors

Warriors salvaged a valuable try bonus point from this 12-try extravaganza which drew them five points clear of Gallagher Premiership basement club Newcastle Falcons.

The point was Warriors’ first in an away Premiership match since they beat Leicester Tigers at Welford Road in September and could yet prove significant at the end of the season.

It was reward for perseverance in adversity after Harlequins scored the first of their seven tries after just 50 seconds and had the bonus point wrapped up before the break.

Tries from Bryce Heem, Josh Adams, Michael Heaney – who clinched the bonus point when he crossed for his first try for the club – and Tom Howe, in his first Premiership appearance of the season capped a better Warriors second half but it could not mask the disappointment of the first 40 minutes.

Harlequins were quick to capitalise on errors or lapses of concentration from Warriors who found themselves behind to an early scrambled try for the second successive week.

Warriors were unable to clear their lines from the kick-off and also failed to gather an awkward bouncing chip ahead which allowed centre Joe Marchant to dot down for an opportunist try which Marcus Smith converted.

Warriors enjoyed plenty of possession and territory in the first half but were let down by poor handling at critical times and it was Harlequins who broke and scored to extend their lead when they launched a counter-attack from their own defence and Gabriel Ibitoye raced over with Smith again converting.

Marchant went over again from another thrust down the left and Smith added the extras before Warriors eventually got some reward for their efforts.

They thought that Michael Fatialofa had crossed after 25 minutes but referee Luke Pearce disallowed it for a forward pass.

But Warriors had the penalty advantage and, having kicked to the corner, they rumbled Jack Singleton over for the try from a driving maul which Duncan Weir converted.

Having got a toehold in the game, Warriors immediately lost it when Jack Clifford was left unmarked from a crossfield kick and he had plenty of time to gather and touch down for the bonus point try which Smith improved.

Warriors needed a big finish to the half and they tried to produce it by again kicking penalties to touch and using their pack to attack. They opted to scrum a penalty in front of the posts from the final play of the half but were shunted off the ball then penalised and Harlequins’ forwards celebrated the escape.

Warriors started the second half better and long period of pressure was rewarded when Bryce Heem went over on the overlap.

But Warriors were immediately penalised in defence, Harlequins kicked to the corner, worked theiur way infield and Danny Care went over with James Lang adding the conversion.

Adams went over after good work by Ted Hill and Sam Lewis but Bath hit back through Ben Tapuai.

The bonus point came after Heaney finished off a thrilling attack from their own 22 by Warriors and Chris Pennell banged over the conversion.

Lang scored Harlequins’ final try after Warriors made an abortive attempt to run from their own line.

But Warriors had the final say with Howe scorching away to put the finishing touch to another thrilling attack.

Warriors | 15 Chris Pennell, 14 Bryce Heem, 13 Francois Venter, 12 Ryan Mills, 11 Josh Adams (Howe 76), 10 Duncan Weir (Lawrence 62), 9 Francois Hougaard (Heaney 62), 1 Callum Black (Waller 51), 2 Jack Singleton (Miller 76), 3 Nick Schonert (Milasinovich 56), 4 Anton Bresler (Barry 67), 5 Michael Fatialofa, 6 Marco Mama, 7 Sam Lewis, 8 GJ van Velze (C) (Hill 56).

Replacements | 16 Isaac Miller, 17 Ethan Waller, 18 Gareth Milasinovich, 19 Darren Barry, 20 Ted Bill, 21 Michael Fatialofa, 22 Ollie Lawrence, 23 Tom Howe

1m | Marchant try 5-0
2m | Smith con 7-0
7m | Ibitoye try 12-0
8m | Smith con 14-0
18m | Marchant try 19-0
19m | Smith con 21-0
27m | Singleton try 21-5
28m | Weir con 21-7
35m | Clifford try 26-7
36m | Smith con 28-7
50m | Heem try 28-12
54m | Care try 33-12
55m | Lang con 35-12
66m | Adams try 35-17
67m | Pennell con 35-19
70m | Tapuai try 40-19
71m | Lang con 42-19
73m | Heaney try 42-24
74m | Pennell con 42-26
76m | Lang try 47-26
79m | Howe try 47-31
80m | Pennell con 47-33

Competition: Gallagher Premiership Rugby
Venue: Stoop Memorial Ground
Referee: Luke Pearce
Game Type: Away
Fixture Round: 13
Attendance: 12,235
No. Name T C D P
15 Mike Brown 1T
14 Gabriel Ibitoye 1T
13 Joe Marchant 1T
12 Ben Tapuai 1T
11 Nathan Earle
10 Marcus Smith 4C
9 Danny Care 1T
1 Joe Marler
2 Max Crumpton
3 Will Collier
4 Matt Symons
5 James Horwill
6 Jack Clifford 1T
7 Chris Robshaw
8 Alex Dombrandt
16 Dave Ward
17 Lewis Boyce
18 Josh Ibuanokpe
19 Ben Glynn
20 James Chisholm
21 Dave Lewis
22 James Lang 1T 2C
23 Alofa Alofa