Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the media today ahead of Sunday’s Gallagher Premiership match against Exeter Chiefs at Sixways (kick-off 3.00pm).
Here’s what Alan had to say:
On last week’s trip to Northampton Saints
- I thought we played really well in the first half but in the second half we compounded errors with penalties.
- At 20-9 we were in a good position. We were awarded a penalty which we elected to kick to the corner. We won the lineout but we didn’t put points on the board.
- After that we a combination of errors and penalties were our undoing and we have taken some harsh lessons from the game.
- We are looking to get our penalty count into single figures and also to reduce our contact errors.
On facing Exeter
- Their game at Bath last week was played in pretty difficult conditions. It was wet and the pitch was pretty muddy but credit to Bath on the win.
- We have had some good games against Exeter over the years. They are a quality side and they have established themselves as one of the top two teams in England.
- We need to perform at our absolute best. If we do that we will give ourselves a chance.
- Francois Hougaard will be out of action for at least three weeks with a shoulder injury which he sustained at Northampton.
- Andrew Kitchener is back running again but he won’t be considered for selection this week because of his hand injury.
- Marco Mama has recovered the knock to the head he suffered in training last week and will be available for selection this weekend.
- Nick Schonert is making good progress from his knee ligament injury and he has been running this week.