Throwback Thursday | Warriors beat Wasps in last-gasp thriller

For today’s Throwback Thursday we go back to Sunday September 14 2008 and a famous victory over Wasps – then London Wasps – in the second Guinness Premiership match of the season at Adams Park.
Both clubs had lost in the opening round, defending champions Wasps at London Irish and Warriors 21-13 against Northampton Saints at Franklin’s Gardens….

London Wasps 10-11  Worcester Warriors 

Warriors snatched a dramatic victory over Wasps with a penalty from replacement fly-half Loki Crichton 10 minutes into injury time.

The Samoan fly-half calmly slotted the 35-metre kick to inflict a second straight defeat on the defending champions.

Warriors had taken the lead with a try from centre Sam Tuitupou and then a Matthew Jones penalty, before Wasps hit back through England winger Paul Sackey. Dave Walder, making his return from a broken ankle, slotted a penalty to push Wasps ahead – but he missed a crucial late shot at goal.

Then nine minutes into injury time, Miles Benjamin caused panic in the Wasps defence – and Crichton was able to step up to seal the victory.

Warriors had had their chances before then, and it appeared their decision to spurn a shot at goal after hammering away at the Wasps line was going to cost them.

In the end, assistant coach Clive Griffiths was able to blow out his cheeks in relief at a thrilling finish.

Wasps describe this as the first year AD – after Dallaglio – and the so-called ‘new generation’ still do not appear entirely comfortable without their talismanic leader. They were comprehensively outclassed in last weekend’s season-opening defeat to London Irish and were forced to battle hard again on an attritional afternoon in front of a 7,668 crowd at Adams Park.

Not only did they have to settle for a losing bonus, but there are injury concerns over Simon Shaw, Phil Vickery and captain Raphael Ibanez.

Warriors, without new dad Matthew Powell and Achilles injury victim Rico Gear, took the lead after 20 minutes when Josh Lewsey misjudged Jones’ high-ball and spilled it deep inside his own 22. Tuitupou, who had over-run the original kick, pounced on the loose ball ahead of a desperately retreating Wasps defence to dive over the line.

It was little more than Warriors deserved after a bright opening, epitomised by the all-energy performance of open-side flanker James Collins. The academy graduate injected a combative edge that was missing from the Warriors against Northampton last week, and his dynamic efforts in the loose kept Wasps rattled.

Walder was struggling to make his mark and missed a long-range penalty, before firing a drop-goal attempt wide. Worcester took a quick 22, and that momentum carried them downfield – where the powerful Tuitupou scored near the posts.

Jones missed his conversion but slotted a penalty to extend Warriors’ lead, before Wasps eventually found some fluency and forced the Warriors on to the back foot.

Some excellent continuity play carried Wasps into Warriors’  22 where they met some physical defence, not least from Tuitupou who floored James Haskell with a massive blindside tackle.

But scrum-half Eion Reddan created a gap with a nicely angled run from the back of a ruck and slipped a neat inside pass for Sackey to score under the posts and bring Wasps back to within a point at half-time.
Ibanez failed to return after the interval, and Warriors soon lost prop Chris Horsman just as they were defending a five-metre scrum under their own posts.

Warriors produced a huge scrum to win back possession, only to lose it again as Wasps laid siege to the line.
Warriors held out valiantly as Sackey, Riki Flutey, Haskell and replacement hooker Rob Webber all drove for the line. After hammering away, but failing to chisel a gap in the Warriors’ defence, Wasps earned a penalty and settled for the three points.

Wasps stepped up the intensity and pace of their rugby but could not find the cutting edge – and Warriors almost turned the tables. Dale Rasmussen was held up over the line as Warriors built on Jones’ remarkable 70-metre kick for touch and a stolen line-out from Webber’s first throw.

Warriors hammered away at the Wasps line and earned a penalty. They decided against going for goal. It was a gamble and appeared to have cost them the game as Wasps forced the turnover and cleared their lines.
Warriors did think they had scored again when Latham ghosted over the line following a slick midfield move – but play was called back for a forward pass.

Walder missed a late penalty shot – and ultimately, that proved decisive. Benjamin attacked, and Crichton stepped up to win the match.

Warriors | 15 Chris Latham, 14 Chris Pennell, 13 Dale Rasmussen, 12 Sam Tuitupou, 11 Miles Benjamin, 10 Matthew Jones (Crichton 61), 9 Ryan Powell (B Jones 70), 1 Matt Mullan, 2 Aleki Lutui (Fortey 66), 3 Chris Horsman (Taumoepeau 46, 4 Greg Rawlinson, 5 Will Bowley, 6 Tom Wood, 7 James Collins (Horstmann 51), 8 Netani Talei.
Replacements: 16 Chris Fortey, 17 Tevita Taumopeau, 18 Craig Gillies, 19 Kai Horstmann, 20 Ben Jones, 22 Loki Crichton, 22 Charlie Fellows.

18m | Tuitupou try 0-5
25m | M Jones pen 0-8
38m | Sackey try 5-8
39m | Walder con 7-8
50m | Walder pen 10-8
80m | Crichton pen 10-11