Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the press today ahead of Warriors’ Aviva Premiership clash with Gloucester Rugby at Sixways on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).
Here’s what he had to say:
Exeter Chiefs win
- It was a remarkable performance. It was a tense finish but it was a magnificent defensive display both at the breakdown and tackling.
- We enjoyed the moment but since Monday’s review, all our focus has been on Gloucester.
- Shilly had a really good game against Exeter. He managed the game well. He is level-headed and mature and it really helped having Francois Hougaard and Ryan Mills by his side.
- It will be another tough fixture but we’re determined to do well in front of our home support.
- There’s the derby element to it and they’ve been travelling well so we expect a good contest.
- No doubt there will be more movement than the last game.
- We have to perform to the best of our ability to have a chance of getting the result we want, like we’ve done against Northampton, Leicester and Exeter this season.
Cornell du Preez
- I know him from his time at the Kings. He had an outstanding first season in Super Rugby, he is a fantastic footballer and is a strong, tough guy.
- He has a fantastic skillset, like that of a back, and is relishing the challenge of playing in the Premiership.
- The Welsh produce some magnificent backs. Ashley is a terrific player.
- I’ve come across him in the Pro 14 and he’s a fine footballer with international experience and I’m sure he’ll make a valuable contribution to this team.
- He felt he needed a fresh challenge after having been at Ospreys for a very long time. They are a great club but sometimes people feel it’s the right time for a new challenge.
- He has obviously been at Worcester before and to sign a loosehead of the calibre of Callum is great.
- He is a fine scrummager and a terrific player.
- Marco is a terrific loose forward and an athlete. We have missed him but hopefully he’ll be back soon.
- He has been training incredibly and we expect him back this season.
- He has been happy at Sixways and that’s been reflected by how well he has played and his international call-up.
- He has really improved. But professional sport is like business and you sometimes make the decision to go elsewhere.
- We are really fortunate that we’ve been able to pick up a loose forward in Cornell and with Marco extending, we’re certainly not short of players in the back row. We’re in a good position.
Duncan Weir’s proposed loan move
- He was recalled by Edinburgh and that’s the situation at present. He trained last week but we’re hopeful he may still come to Sixways. We’d like him here but we’ll have to see what happens.
- Joe Taufete’e is out for approximately eight to ten weeks with an MCL injury sustained while on international duty with USA.
- Francois Hougaard picked up an ankle knock but we will make a decision on his fitness later this week.
- Will Spencer should be fit for this weekend.
- Scotland and Wales players are eligible to return to their clubs for training, so Josh Adams and David Denton are back with us.
- Jonny Arr is available for selection after playing for Birmingham Moseley last weekend. He had 40 minutes of rugby as he needed some game time and he came through unscathed.