Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the media today ahead of Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership match against Sale Sharks at Sixways (kick-off 3.00pm).
Here’s what Alan had to say:
On last week’s Wasps match
- In the opening 20 minutes we made it very difficult for ourselves. We started brightly, got a penalty but then we didn’t handle the kick off very well. They got in behind us and got a try and tehn scored two more tries.
- We got back into the game in the second 20 minutes and when Chris Pennell kicked that incredible penalty early in the second half it was 21-16.
- But we could not get a foothold in their territory. There were five occasions when we got into their half and let them off the hook for a variety of different reasons.
On facing Sale
- It’s a massive challenge for us. They had a good win against Harlequins at the weekend and they played very well.
- They are a good all-round side with some really good players and they are well-organised.
Newcastle Falcons play Leicester Tigers on Friday night
- We can only control the things that we can control and not worry about what is happening elsewhere.
- Sale are quality opposition and we need to come out and play against them.
Three out of last four matches are at home
- It’s important to play in front of your supporters at your home ground.
- But what is also important is the performance that we deliver.
- Nick Schonert missed the Wasps match because of a back spasm but he trained today and we expect him to play against Sale.
- Jack Singleton has also trained today.
- Michael Fatialofa has not trained today and we will assess him later in the week.
- Bryce Heem hasn’t trained today but we are optimistic that he will recover from his foot injury.
- Anton Bresler has a calf injury and we will assess him on Thursday.
- Pierce Phillips is going through the return-to-play protocols after his HIA.
- Farai Mudariki suffered a head injury in Monday’s Cavaliers match against Wasps A
- Jono Lance has been cleared to train but we need to see how is later in the week.
- Josh Adams sustained a dead leg at Wasps and we need to look at him again.
- Ashley Beck has been training but is unlikely to play again this season.
- GJ van Velze is making good progress and we expect him to be back, possibly after this block of matches.
- Ollie Lawrence had an operation earlier this week and he won’t play again this season.
- Jamie Shillcock could possibly play again before the end of the season.