Director of Rugby Alan Solomons spoke to the media today ahead of Saturday’s Premiership Rugby Cup match at Wasps (kick-off 3.00pm).
Here’s what Alan had to say:
On the performance against Exeter Chiefs
- It was an incredible performance. They put out what was close to their strongest available side. We had a thread of experience in our team but we also had a lot of inexperienced players
- We made more than 300 tackles and a completion rate of 92 per cent. We also played with 14 men for 20 minutes with three minutes to go we were only 20-19 down
- The effort the players put in was remarkable.
- I think they will basically play close to their strongest XV
- We know that they will play with width and tempo and it will be a tough challenge for us.
- We have to start better when we are playing away. That is something we spoke about after the Bath match and it is something we need to address
On the Premiership Rugby Cup so far
- This has been a preparatory period for the Gallagher Premiership for all clubs.
- We have competition for places in the squad and over the four games we have tried to give everyone who is fit and available the opportunity to showcase their talent.
- The first match against Leicester they put out a young side so we have to see that in perspective.
- The second game at Bath we started slowly but then built our way into the game and and we came back well to get a try bonus point.
- The Exeter match was a tremendous effort against a strong side.
- Nick Schonert will be out for at least three months with a grade two tear of a collateral medial ligament. His right knee is in a brace. Premiership regulations allow injury dispensation for a player who is out for in excess of 12 weeks and that is something that we considering.
- Farai Mudariki rolled an ankle in training and he is going to have that scanned.
- Francois Venter has trained today but it is probably a week too early for him to play.
- Will Butler is having an operation on his ankle injury today. We should know more about how long he will be out once the specialist has performed the operation.
- Anton Bresler has trained today and he will come into consideration for Saturday.
Matt Cox will train on Thursday.
- Jono Kitto trained today and will definitely come into consideration this weekend.
- Ryan Bower and Isaac Miller both failed head injury assessments last Friday but both should be fine this weekend.